make-kpkg error: "install: debian/tmp-image: Operation not permi tted"

Chris Waters xtifr@dsp.net
14 Apr 2000 10:48:47 -0700

simonst@WellsFargo.COM writes:

> This sounds like a file-permissions problem, but I thought fakeroot
> was supposed to handle that.  Any suggestions?

Fakeroot is just what it says -- fake.  It makes the program *think*
it has root privileges, but doesn't fool the kernel.

On the other hand, it looks like you *do* have the proper permissions
for those directories, so the delusions caused by fakeroot shouldn't
matter.  I'm not quite sure what's going on, but I might suggest
removing the /tmp/linux tree and trying again.  You also might try
killing any running faked processes.