OT: Re: Bang for the Buck, comparing Celerons to Xeons (and

George Bonser grep@shorelink.com
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 00:01:14 -0700 (PDT)

On 21-Sep-99 Alan DuBoff wrote:
> George Bonser wrote:
>
> The gap is closing, but Solaris has been down this road before. Some people
> don't think that Solaris x86 is a viable option, as compared with Solaris
> Sparc, but I think it runs just fine. They are about 95% common code between
> x86 and Sparc.

Solaris x86 ISN'T an option on UP Intel, it is a dog but it scales like a charm
on SMP.

> FWIW, when I compiled the 2.3.18 kernel on my Debian box, the warnings that
> were spew'd out kinda scared me away from running it. There were quite a few
> of them.

Which ones? I am running it without any problems so far:

$ uname -a
Linux chesapeake 2.3.18 #1 SMP Sun Sep 12 23:57:54 PDT 1999 i686 unknown
$ uptime
 11:55pm  up 8 days,  5:03,  4 users,  load average: 3.00, 3.00, 3.00
$

It is running distributed-net client and has a runaway Netscape process right
now that I will reap in a second. Note this is Linus' 2.3.18, not any of Alan's
ac patches.

Oh, you probably need to compile it with gcc272 for it to work build and some
SCSI stuff will break but I got by with what I have.

E-Mail: George Bonser <grep@shorelink.com>
Date: 20-Sep-99
Time: 23:53:05

This message was sent by XFMail