Bang for the Buck, comparing Celerons to Xeons (and PIIIs?)

David Welton davidw@master.debian.org
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 12:15:48 -0500

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 02:34:30AM -0700, Alan DuBoff wrote:

> I don't understand your numbers above, I'm watching my Xeons compile
> right now and it shows consisten numbers, with real time being very
> close to the combination of user time and sys time.

Are you both doing the same make -j N ?  I think N in one case that
was posted was 4, whereas I'm not sure there was even a -j on the
initial post!

Make -j N defines how many concurrent processes may be running, which
is obviously a number you can bump up if you are doing SMP.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton            (    Circa mea pectora
davidw@prosa.it            )    multa sunt suspiria