Unstable package list

Paul Christenson n3eop@hotmail.com
Mon, 17 May 1999 11:59:32 PDT

>All I know is that the local, non-free packages are apparently not
>in the 2.1 released cd's.  What that has meant is that netscape is
>apparently not on the 2.1 release.  There is a "netscape-remote"
>base-4 but not the actual netscape.  And I've not found any documentation
>or explanation of why not.

I remember reading the explanation, so it's in there somewhere.  If not, it
somehow got edited out.

The "non-free" packages are just that; they can't be freely
distributed/used.  There are restrictions of some type on them.

The decision was made some time ago that the 'non-free' packages wouldn't be
included on the "official" releases because of these restrictions.  The idea
was to create a CD that could be distributed by any means anyone saw fit;
from burning a copy to bundling with a book to selling a shrink wrapped
package for $19.97 at Computers 'R Us.

Also, I believe that adding the 'non-free' packages would add another CD.

>Or how about some comment on why certain things seem to be being left out,
>like netscape, staroffice, wordperfect.

I believe that the upcoming "open source" version of Netscape 5.x will
remove the restrictions, allowing it to go to one of the other packages.

This is all from memory, so some or all may be incorrect...