potato info

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 21:41:15 -0700

Joey Hess wrote:

> Yes, get the base system installed from your CD, plus ppp or dhcp or
> whatever you'll need to get on the net. Then manually download
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/slink/main/upgrade-2.0-i386/apt_0.1.8_i386.deb
> and then run:

Jo,

I can get hamm installed with the base, but the network doesn't seem to be
working, and I've tried several different things with no luck.

I can see in my messages from boot that it does in fact install the adapter
ok, it's an Intel Pro 10/100+, a very common card.

I installed OpenLinux on this same partition, it installed flawlessly, only it
included OpenLinux!<roar!> I just wanted to see the install and how slick it
was, which it is.

Then I installed FreeBSD 3.2 on the same partition, it went ok also.

Can't figure out what is different about Debian that Red Hat or the others
doesn't do, but I see in /etc/init.d/network it actually has the IPs hardcoded
in there. Do I need to have those in some other files so it will boot ok?

I see there is /etc/gateways which doesn't have anything in it, but the
gateway IP is hardcoded into /etc/init.d/network, is that correct?

> dpkg -i apt*.deb
> echo "deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free" >>\
>         /etc/apt/sources.sources.list
> apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade
> apt-get install xbase enlightenment gnome-panel (list other packages here)
>
> And you'll be well on your way to a nice potato install. You can fire up
> dselect to get a full list of available packages with descriptions or just
> grep around in /var/lib/dpkg/available to find more things to install.

I'm at this stage right now, wanting to dpkg and apt-get, but no connection to
my DSL line.

I can ping localhost, but not the machine IP (if thats any help), in fact I
can't ping anything except localhost.

Upon boot and upon running /etc/init.d/network I get the following messages:

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable
SOICADDRT: Network is unreachable
SOICADDRT: Network is unreachable

ifconfig eth0 yields what appears to be correct information, it has it set to
the correct Interrupt: 10, Base address:0xef00 which both match up from the
boot messages.

It obviously installed the adapter since eth0 exists, but it's not UP yet as
it doesn't get listed with netstat -i, but it does with netstat -ia.

Any clues from any of this info?

--

Alan DuBoff - Conductor
Software Orchestration, Inc.