GRUB and XEmacs with mule/canna/wnn support

Mike Touloumtzis miket@geoworks.com
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:29:47 -0700

Hi Jim,

I'm running potato and emacs20 (v 20.3-8), and mule
support for Japanese works fine.  Do a M-x set-frame-font
fontset-standard to enable a fontset which contains
kana/kanji characters, then M-x set-language-environment
japanese (from memory, may not be 100% correct).  Emacs has
a builtin KKC (called SKK, if I recall correctly); do M-\
to enter kana mode, enter some kana, and hit spacebar.

If you're not running potato, try this with slink before
you run to upgrade :-)

Back when I was running hamm (I think), I used the
debian-jp packages to get one of canna or wnn to work
(don't remember which).  It was pretty painful at the
time, because the debian-jp packages needed to upgrade my
Emacs install to add some features, and they didn't do it
very cleanly.  Things might be much better now.

miket