potato info

Joey Hess joey@kitenet.net
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 02:24:37 -0700

Alan DuBoff wrote:
> Now we're talkin...ftp install, I looked around all the install guide (DiCarlo
> et all) and cruised around the godfather's tips (linuxmafia), but didn't see
> anything about ftp install

Actually, a ftp install is a misnomer, installing by ftp is a little
primitive these days, people tend to use http which is actually faster.

> The advice I was given from a friend was to install the bare minimum, then
> upgrade the packages I want. That sound ok to me.

Yes, get the base system installed from your CD, plus ppp or dhcp or
whatever you'll need to get on the net. Then manually download
ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/slink/main/upgrade-2.0-i386/apt_0.1.8_i386.deb
and then run:

dpkg -i apt*.deb
echo "deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free" >>\
	/etc/apt/sources.sources.list
apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install xbase enlightenment gnome-panel (list other packages here)

And you'll be well on your way to a nice potato install. You can fire up
dselect to get a full list of available packages with descriptions or just
grep around in /var/lib/dpkg/available to find more things to install.

--
see shy jo