Debian Attitudes

Joey Hess joey@kitenet.net
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 11:57:57 -0700

Jonathan Jefferies wrote:
> Can't keep up with everything but this finally filtered through
> to me - a March post - which seems to reflect attitudes I've seen
> in the SVLUG list.  Any comments from BAD?
>
> http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9903/msg02288.html

Here's how I summarized it in Debian Weekly News -- which is what led to it
appearing on slashdot and LWN, IIRC:

  "1. Stupid Users are Bad. 2. Stupid Users are Bad for Debian. therefore:
  3. Stupid Users should be ignored.". This is a beginning of an essay
  posted to the list this week and it sounds like a prime candidate for
  sparking a flame war. Instead, it started a reasoned discussion about user
  friendliness and Debian.

My point is that yes, some people certianly feel this way, and there is a
certian amount of eletism in debian, and in linux and unix and free software
in general. But debian's "Priorities are Our Users and Free Software"
(social contract), and on average, debian developers do not hold the
attitude in that message. (Amusingly, Pablo Averbuj doesn't appear to even
be a developer.)

--
see shy jo