jsms: sendmail must die completes itself

Jonathan Walther krooger@debian.org
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 02:56:40 -0700 (PDT)

Im writing a new MTA because Im not "smart".  Im a dumb user.  Im too stupid
to understand sendmail postfix and exim in the first place.  On the other
hand, I read RFC 821 and 822 and they made a lot of sense to me.  If I can't
even make sendmail etc work for myself, why would I write front ends for
them?  I find it simpler to write a new mailer, plus it won't have any
"baggage".  Sendmail doesn't just handle SMTP, it handles about 15 other
types of mailer accumulated over 20 years as well.  The configuration models
of the other mailers are baroque and overfeatured.  Every other MTA out
there was written by someone who already understood sendmail and
succumbed to its brain damage.  Thats about the only reasons.  If you think
these are poor reasons, Im interested to hear why.

As a final reason, its to "scratch an itch".  None of the current mailers
fit my multihoming needs, or are simple enough to easily handle all my
virtual domains as well as system mail plus a bunch of mailing lists,
relays, etc.  By "being able to handle", I mean, are understandable enough
to me that I can make them do those things.  I know that Sendmail can do
ANYTHING.  But like the automatic driver who can't drive a stick shift,
that means I can't even go from 0 to 30, let alone 60 to 100.  Later.

Jonathan Walther

-- sig --
Witches are fucked up manhating mind perverts.