I've learned my lesson...<sigh>

George Bonser grep@shorelink.com
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 13:02:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Alan DuBoff wrote:

> I've learned after getting things cleaned up that using apt-get along with the
> Debian package in a browser and just being able to calle them by name is much
> more helpful.
>
> http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/
>
> Oh well...BAD Boys learn the hard way...:-/

I dunno, I still rely on dselect for a lot of things ... like when perl
upgrades in potato and apt-get wants to remove a bunch of packages ...
jump into dselect, put perl-5.005 on hold and keep on trucking.

I LIKE being able to manually override the defaults. Also, I find that the
most problems people have from using dselect are due to 1. Not really
understanding the debian concept of dependancies and 2. Not REALLY reading
EVERYTHING that dselect is telling you.

Conflict resolution need not be a bad thing, you can always <R>evert to
what you had or tell dselect to just be <Q>uiet and do what you want it to
do. Most people that run into trouble have just not mastered enough of the
keystrokes.