converting RPM to DEB

Rick Moen rick@hugin.imat.com
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:54:09 -0700

Quoting Alan DuBoff (maestro@SoftOrchestra.com):

> Will definitely heed your advice and use alien.

Might I suggest a different option?  Since this is a desktop system,
and presumably not extremely mission-critical, you should consider
upgrading it to potato, the current "unstable" branch.  I have a a
potato-based system (a laptop) with Enlightenment and GNOME, and
they seem to be _extremely_ recent versions.

To upgrade to potato, edit etc/apt/sources.list to contain:

   deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

Then do "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade".  You are now running
the "potato" versions of all your original packages.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!