[Fwd: potato info]

Alan DuBoff maestro@SoftOrchestra.com
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:51:35 -0700

Chris Waters wrote:

> That's one of the things Corel has said they're going to address.  It
> tends to be something the developers don't pay enough attention to,
> because it's not something you do very often with Debian, generally.
> After the first install, it's all upgrades, which are amazingly easy
> (something we *do* care about:).

Lizard is pretty cool, it works well, but it's not what I think of as a
solution. I want to see the ability to boot from floppy, and then be
able to load over the net, very much like FreeBSD can do.

> A lot of people have come along and said that they want to help with
> the install, but they seem to tend to forget about it after they've
> been using the system for a while.

I'd like to forget about it, but honestly, I watched a few people
fighting with apt-get yesterday, and one was ready to give up on Debian
and fdisk the entire partition to put Red Hat on it. This person was by
no means un-experienced and/or incapable, but I watched 3 people
sufferin' trying to get Debian installed. And trust me, these people had
a very competent Debian user *helping* them!

Yes, apt-get is terrific for staying "current", but it has a ways to go.

>  A company like Corel, which has a
> stronger motivation to improve the install (sales and support costs)
> seems more likely to be able to stay focussed.

Maybe they can do what I would want to see, an easy installation, with
the ability to install over the net. Lizard is close, although not
perfect, but it's the best going, no doubt.

On my Debian partition I installed OpenLinux 2.2 before installing Hamm.
I did it just to look at Lizard. I thought it was beautiful except that
it left me with OpenLinux on my system!:-/

My attraction to Debian is that it is not owned by any corporate body,
and Corel would still be, not to mention that Lizard is not OpenSource,
is it?

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration Inc.