jsms: sendmail must die completes itself

George Bonser grep@shorelink.com
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:30:43 -0700 (PDT)

MTA's are not supposed to have a user interface, MUA's are. In other
words, users should not be interfacing with the server, client programs
are. Users interface with client programs.

I suspect that any mail server with a simple administration interface is
likely to not be useful in a large network serving many domains. The
feature requirements are too great.

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> For those of you that missed my initial posting, sendmail, postfix, smail,
> exim and qmail must die.  These are elegant, beautiful, efficient, secure
> and powerful emailers, to be sure.  But not one has addressed the issue of
> sensible user interface.  jsms attempts to rethink the process of
> configuring mail from first principles, assuming if the program becomes
> popular, that will be motivation to add in all those elegance, security and
> efficiency features to the codebase, after the interface is good and settled
> down.
>
> The interface is done, the design is done. Please download the tarfile,
> type "make install" as root (if you are paranoid, look at the makefile, it
> only copies some text files around) then type "man jsms".
> read the manpage, then edit the config files and create a setting for your
> own box.  I would like to see the results you come up with so I can improve
> the clarity of my documentation so people "get" it with minimal fuss and
> confusion.
>
> http://mindanaoguide.com/jsms.tgz
>
> Yes, theres no working code, or code at all.  Thats because I am a user
> interface designer.  The code will follow, but before I touch it the
> design (no code design, config file design) must be sound. Unless I've made
> some seriously wrong assumptions, the config files you come up with now will
> work exactly when I do provide a working binary.
>
> As always, this is a GPL project.  If you have any questions, please ask.  I
> want to get this interface evaluated... Stress it out!  Think of funky mail
> situations, and see if my interface isn't powerful enough to simply handle
> it with a minimum of fuss and bother.
>
> For those of you who can recieve attachments, find jsms.tgz already attached
> to this mail, otherwise you hotmail folks can download it.
>
> SirDibos
>
> DISCLAIMER:  This has nothing to do with my day job at DVBS, so those of you
> reading this who work with me, feel free to disregard it.
>
> PS: jsms stands for Jonathans Simple Mail Server

George Bonser

Welcome to Wit's End