linuxworld housing

Joseph Carter knghtbrd@debian.org
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 10:51:42 -0800

On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 07:59:54PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> According to my notes at http://kitenet.net/~joey/linuxworld.html, 5 people
> are seeking lodging. So we have enough! What I'd suggest is that those of
> you seeking lodging privatly contact the person(s) whose offers appeals to
> you, and and then privately hash out the details. If you can't find
> appropriate housing, Klaus has saved the day by finding a cheap hotel in San
> Jose.

I didn't see me listed there (possibly because I haven't gotten back to
you yet about transportation yet, I will though and soon--it's taken me a
little longer because I missed my LUG meeting this month which is where I
thought I would be able to ask who was going, etc..)

I can bring myself and if desired I can bring icarus.  There are of
course two things I would want to ask if anyone else could bring FOR
icarus, those being a monitor and a mouse...  This machine's mouse is
somewhat toasted, the ball doesn't roll so I have to turn the little
spinners with my fingers.  The monitor just because this one is so bad
that showing my machine at 800x600 would be cruel and unusual punishment
and I just couldn't do that to people.  =>  This monitor can only do
800x600 at 56Hz

My box is hardly muscular, it's a Cyrix PR166+ but it can play mp3s and
quake is possible though at 20 frames/sec there are some maps I would
suggest not playing.  Mostly I consider my machine good to show how even
my machine which has been rated at about P90 by normal standards fares
running Debian.  I can also show off a few terminal tricks on it and show
people how I personally cope with very poor vision and still manage to
use Linux.

By that time I should have two .steprc's (I use asclassic), one my
current black/purple lightning thing and one I'm going to make for the
linuxchiq image...  ;> No cdrom, yes network card, yes modem (33.6), yes
SCSI (narrow), and I have a zip drive.  I can also hopefully do the thing
where I show how very useful the zip drive is for system rescue and
whatnot.  No zip rescue/installation disk unfortunately, I don't have
time to get with the boot floppies people and figure out how to modify
the boot floppies to work on any random device.  I could fake it and hand
edit them to MY zip drive/SCSI card but that would be bad I think.  I am
set up to show system rescue from a small emergency dos partition.

Lots of cool stuff, really.  None of it probably really needed on its own
and it looks like you've already got a substantial pile of hardware and I
don't even know yet if I will be able to get there for setup day or what
yet.  I will find out though.

Oh, and my keyboard is set up with the keycaps arranged in dvorak layout
and it's very easy to switch between dvorak/qwerty.  I'll prolly leave
the system qwerty for myself, but if someone would like they can play
with dvorak on a keyboard arranged for it and the dvorak7min tytping
tutor..  =>

--
Anticipation is the sweetest form of torture...