where is the most up-to-date debian archive?

Joey Hess joey@kitenet.net
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:04:44 -0700

Jim Franklin wrote:
>   I was wondering which debian archive is the most up to date.  I
> recently was having trouble connecting to us.debian.org and potato, so
> I  included a connect to uk.debian.org (larger bandwidth) in
> sources.list.  The potato upgrade from uk.debian.org ran into some
> depenence problems because the version of python-base required was a
> lower version than was installed on my machine from us.debian.org for
> some of the debs.
>   This seems to indicate to me that some of the main archives are
> updated before other archives.  Is this a mistaken impression?  Which
> would be the most up-to-date archives (as far a potato is concerned)?

The debian mirror system is a two-teired system. At the top are the push
mirrors, which are updated whenever a change is made to the archive. These
are the best mirrors. Below them are second tier mirrors that mirror only
periodically. Here's a mirror list: http://www.debian.org/misc/README.mirrors
I use debian.midco.net and debian.terrabox.com

--
see shy jo